Printer Friendly (New Window) Font Size
Application Requirements and Procedures for Visiting Scholars to the Institute of History and Philology, Academia SinicaThe Institute of History and Philology (IHP), Academia Sinica accepts applications to visit the Institute from university instructors, graduate students, and members of research institutions in order to facilitate academic exchange and cooperation with institutions and individuals conducting relevant research in Taiwan and abroad. Application requirements and procedures are as follows:
- Applicant Eligibility: Limited to scholars working toward their PhDs or of higher academic standing. Applicants may be of ROC or any other nationality.
- Application Period: There are three annual application deadlines: January 31st, May 31st, and September 30th. Applications are reviewed in February, June and October respectively. (Application materials should be submitted through the online form. Applicants will be notified of results by email.)
- Applicants’ field of research should be related to research conducted at the IHP. Applicants should seek out a research fellow at the Institute to act as their sponsor before applying.
- There are two kinds of visiting scholars, visiting scholars and junior visiting scholars:
(1) Visiting Scholars possess a doctoral degree or a position equivalent to assistant professor in Taiwan or higher..
(2) Junior Visiting Scholars are PhD candidates and students enrolled in PhD programs.
- Duration of Visit: The longest initial period approved for each visit is one year, and this may be extended once only (up to one year). Applications for extensions must be approved by the IHP’s director.
- Scholars in Taiwan who are employed full-time by other institutions shall, in principle, visit the Institute of History and Philology during leave or summer vacation.
- The Institute offers various types of service and assistance to visiting scholars, but in principle, does not provide funding.
- Visitors staying for three months or longer will be offered office space for research which is in principle shared. This may change in accordance with the actual needs of researchers. Visitors extending their stays at the IHP will not be offered office space.
- During the visit, visitors are encouraged to interact with IHP colleagues and may give lectures or organize colloquia.
- Documents required for application:
(1) Online Application Form.
(2) Curriculum Vitae and List of Publications.
(3) One Letter of Recommendation.
(4) Research Plan.
(5) Proof of funding or adequate funds.
Please upload the above application materials (2)-(5) as PDF files.